How I do my Journey Deeper into God’s Word reflection
Psalm 119: 81,88,89,97: My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word. Preserve my life according to your love, and I will obey the statutes of your mouth. Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
I have been involved in preaching, sharing devotions for years, and most of the time I found the preparation seriously hard work. Even just producing one sermon each week created a lot of stress for me. I was caught up in the idea that I had to make it interesting and entertaining. So how is it I can now produce so many reflections on the Word each week with very little stress? The difference is that I am only focused on reading the Bible and growing in my relationship with God and not at all interested in entertaining. I don’t think so much about how to make them interesting to read, but more I focus on what God is showing me.
How I read the Bible
* I find a quiet place
* I look at my watch and work out when I will stop (seriously, now the issue isn’t forcing myself to read but to stop!)
* I come before God and admit my sin and seek forgiveness
* I pray the Holy Spirit will guide me
* Then, I either read systematically through a book (like Luke) or I allow God to reveal a passage
* I read the passage until stuff starts to appear.. ideas and thoughts as they relate to me
* I read the greek or hebrew version (I use a Greek and English Interlinear like this one: click here. Note this isn’t a product endorsement!! Just the one I find works for me.)
* I ask God to reveal stuff and often something that has happened to me that day connects with the reading
* And then I write a reflection and nearly always it just flows out of me!
I so praise God for the way he is working in my life!
Rev Mark Brown
If you would like to subscribe to this blog and receive my reflections as an email for free: click here.
And I welcome your comments!! Click on comment and scroll down.
Yahweh’s Yarn in a Year : 1 year Bible reading plan
The Portion for the today is: Genesis Chapters 28-31
To access the complete plan for the year click here.